Philadelphia lineman Zykileous Moore drops Walnut's quarterback for a sack.
Philadelphia lineman Zykileous Moore drops Walnut's quarterback for a sack.
The Philadelphia Tornadoes will play on the road Friday night in the second round of the Class 2A state football playoffs when they visit East Webster.

Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.

The Tornadoes improved to 8-4 last Friday when they rolled over Walnut 61-0 in the first round of the playoffs. East Webster, which comes in at 6-6, beat O’Bannon 35-6.

“We are taking it week-by-week,” Coach David Frey said. “Walnut was outmatched but I thought our offensive line played its best game of the season. We are steadily improving and that is a positive.”

All four members of Region 4-2A that made the playoffs advanced to the second round. Union beat Baldwyn 38-14, Scott Central crushed Bruce 55-6 and Lake beat East Union 27-0. This week, Union hosts Calhoun City with the winner facing the winner between Philadelphia and East Webster in the third round. Scott Central hosts South Delta and Lake visits Eupora with the winners playing in the third round. The third round winners advance to the North State championship the night after Thanksgiving.

“We can’t be worried about that now,” Frey said. “But I think the fact that all four Region 4-2A teams advanced says a lot about how tough our region is.”

Philadelphia rolled up 590 yards on offense and could have easily doubled it has Frey not stayed with the running game for most of the first half. The second half was played with a running clock and was over in less than 30 minutes.

Quarterback Asher Morgan completed 3-of-4 passes for 134 yards. The Tornadoes had 456 rushing yards led by Gy’derius Easily with 135 yards on seven carries, Raedarius Triplett with 131 on three carries and Lideatrick Griffin with 128 yards on four carries. Trey Crockett caught one pass for 67 yards and Kadarius Calloway had two catches for 67 yards.

The Tornadoes scored on their second play of the first quarter when Morgan connected with Calloway on a 50-yard touchdown pass. Connor Long kicked the extra point and Philadelphia led 7-0.

The Tornadoes recovered a fumble which set up a Griffin touchdown from 37 yards out. Long’s kick was true and the Tornadoes led 14-0 with 8:07 left in the first quarter.

Trey Crockett set up the next touchdown as he ran 65 yards to give the Tornadoes a first down on the Walnut four-yard line. Deiondre Fox ran the ball in for a touchdown. The extra point kick was not good, and the Tornadoes led 20-0 with four minutes left in the quarter.

The Tornado defense held to set up another touchdown. This time, Griffin ran 39 yards for a touchdown. The kick failed and the Tornadoes led 26-0 with 21 seconds left in the first quarter.

An interception set up the next Tornado score. Morgan completed a 12-yard pass to Calloway for the touchdown. Long’s kick was good and the Tornadoes led 34-0.

The Tornadoes picked up a couple of quick scores. First, Triplett scored on a 30-yard run.  The kick was no good and Philadelphia led 40-0. Then Francisco Wilson blocked a punt recovered it in the end zone for a touchdown. Long’s kick was good and the Tornadoes led 47-0 with 4:58 left in the half.

Triplett broke loose for a 44-yard touchdown run in the final minute of the half. Long’s kick was good and the Tornadoes led 54-0 at the half.

With the clock running, Easily broke loose for a 92-yard TD run to score Philadelphia’s final touchdown. Long kicked the extra point.

Defensively, Antauze Brown led with eight tackles while Zykileous Moore and Ahyunte’ Crosby both had seven tackles.

Walnut finished the season with a 6-5 record.